couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <>
Subject Re: Binary Downloads
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2011 00:52:42 GMT
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Benoit Chesneau <> wrote:
> I'm +1 on the idea to have "official binaries" but I really dislike
> the idea to have to use build-couchdb for that. Or any system that use
> rakes, ruby, python .... where we could just use erlang and unix
> tools. It does the job but it's petty ugly (Jason, no offense,
> build-couchdb does its job quite well).

Discussing the tooling may be premature and encourage bike shedding.
(I'll clarify in a subsequent email.)

Benoit: No offense taken. But, FYI, a small technical note: Build
CouchDB adds build-time dependencies, but no run-time dependencies. To
run it, all you need is libc (maybe zlib and openssl) shared

Build CouchDB is basically my experience (quickly becoming community
institutional experience) building for each platform: every gotcha,
every workaround, that is known. It happens to be "encoded" as Rake,
but in principle it could be a shell script, emakefile, etc.

Examples of knowledge "encoded" in the Rake "codec":

* The packages each OS needs.
* When you build on OSX, you have to modify the runtime search path
with `install_name_tool -change ...`
* The procedure for building and including GeoCouch
* In CouchDB prior to 1.2, you don't need to build the os_mon Erlang application
* On OSX Lion, you must use gcc -O0 because Lion replaced `gcc` with llvm.

etc. So in principle, we could "transcode" this executable knowledge
for any reason.

Iris Couch

View raw message