couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: Binary Downloads
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2011 17:15:43 GMT
On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 4:07 PM, kowsik <kowsik@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Contrast this with CouchDB which has huge dependencies external to
>> itself (the right version of erlang, compiling it with just the right
>> options, openssl, spidermonkey, etc, etc). Personally, I love the
>> simplicity of CouchDBX. One click and boom you are up and running.
>> This is philosophical, but ultimately no matter what software you are
>> building, if the time to value is going to take a bunch of hoops to
>> get through, nobody's going to have the patience.
>>

> Yep, CouchDBX is great, but it is still a "toy" version of CouchDB.
>
> Personally, I rely on build-couchdb. @_jhs and others have added
>> knowledge into this about OS detection and how best to get couchdb
>> setup and compiled and started on specific distro's. It implicitly
>> encodes this knowledge of 'on this OS you have to compile erlang with
>> these flags' kind of things.
>>

> It concerns me that these things are in build-couchdb, and not in CouchDB.

Technical note: build-couchdb is more akin to packaging tools than
compiling tools. (There is a reason Debian `rules` files are
Makefiles.)

It (1) includes and (2) builds several related packages

* autoconf-2.13
* autoconf-2.59
* erlang
* libicu
* libcurl
* libmozjs
* couch
* couch plugins such as GeoCouch, BrowserID, Facebook authentication, etc.

It also does several things which made me blush when I wrote them but
I figured nobody would ever find out.

But it is not unlike how package developers maintain diffs against the
upstream sources, and in fact some of that logic could flow upstream.

At this stage in the discussion, the main function build-couchdb
serves is as a known "thing" to compare and contrast against.

--
Iris Couch