couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Binary Downloads
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 14:36:28 GMT
On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 3:46 AM, Jason Smith <jhs@iriscouch.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Jason Smith <jhs@iriscouch.com> wrote:
>> IMO, as a CouchDB user, somebody who has to test upgrades and
>> compatibility often:
>>
>> * An Ubuntu PPA
>> * A free app in the Mac App Store
>> * Whatever Windows does (.msi installer?)
>> * An Android app, either in the Marketplace or maybe Amazon
>> * An iPhone app in the App Store
>>
>> Notes:
>>
>> 1. If we achieved Jan's hypothetical ./bin/couchdb milestone, we would
>> be very close to achieving the above list. Mostly it's jumping through
>> a few procedural hoops.
>>
>> 2. All (most?) of these imply an official install, uninstall, and
>> upgrade process, but we wouldn't have to write that ourselves (the
>> "check for updates" feature)
>>
>> 3. The mobile apps are not an SDK, but like Android's DavDrive,
>> http://davdrive-android.fun2code.de/ -- you run the app, it tells you
>> your phone's IP, and you hit it with your browser (or CouchApp, or
>> whatever). You could actually develop entire couch apps and replicate
>> them to your production server. Quit the app, couch is gone. Remove
>> the app, the data is gone.
>
> 4. All of these distribution systems require developer accounts and
> keeping an SSL private key and signing the shipped binaries. Who would
> own that key and sign off on builds is an interesting question.
>
> --
> Iris Couch

This is really another topic or bs imo. For me apache couchdb is a
core thant handle data safely + a server implementation and HTTP api
and some other some other apps we want to maintain. As a core, it
could then be used to provide desktop or server application. I mean
even,if we provide binaries , I think binaries shouldn't be
opinionated.

- benoit