couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Binary Downloads
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2011 00:12:03 GMT
On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 2:21 AM, Jason Smith <jhs@iriscouch.com> wrote:
> Love it. FWIW, here are some thoughts from Build CouchDB feedback.
>
> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>> Randall, Till,
>>
>> I had hoped I addressed this in my original mail, but let me try again :)
>>
>> I'm in favour of all the things your are saying, but I'm trying to address this scenario:
>>
>> $ wget $url
>> $ tar xzf $archive
>> $ ./$dir/couchdb
>>  Time to relax.
>
> Basically, I suggest clearly identifying every non-goal early. It will
> help to assess exactly what people want.
>
> I am not sure ./bin/couchdb is what people want. I've seen
> disappointment from build-couchdb users. The world has changed since
> Noah ported CouchDB to autotools. System administrators are an
> endangered species. Time was, once you got `make install` working, it
> was downhill from there. Now, people don't find that as relaxing.
>
> * If there is a system couch, you get a long scary message with
> 'eaddrinuse' buried somewhere in it
> * When you reboot or computer crashes (possibly 6 months later), Couch
> isn't running anymore
> * Log rotation doesn't work (eventually breaking the /_log query in
> version =< 1.1.1)
> * It's unclear how a backup/restore would work.
> * It's unclear how an upgrade would work.
> * It's only "native" in the strictest sense, you can't manage it with
> the OS (i.e. it's not an .app bundle, .msi installer, .pkg, .rpm etc.)
>
> The first email I got about Build CouchDB, somebody said thanks and
> that it helped. Not one hour later, two emails complained that there
> is no Ubuntu package. It was really discouraging. But I'd done poor
> expectation management. So, the above may be excessive for now, but at
> least clearly describe goals and non-goals.

SO to be clear that why I'm proposing t build a proper erlang release
in near future. Erlang releases allows clean updates, versioning ...

But I'm agree with jan, we could start by linking peoples to community
builds and maintain an updated list of them. It will address most of
the users concerns actually I think

- benoit