couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Binary Downloads
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2011 00:02:32 GMT
On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net> wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2011, at 3:11 PM, Randall Leeds wrote:
>
>> Meebo runs CentOS/Scientific Linux and I've played with the RPM
>> packaging for that quite a bit, though I tend to be less up to date on
>> that since upgrading is a big production, whereas on my desktop I tend
>> to keep more up to date. Happy to help out with that conversation,
>> too, though.
>

>        Someone showed me an ruby gem called "fpm" which has made things so much better
for anyone doing anything with packaging here.

>        https://github.com/jordansissel/fpm
>
>        Basically, if the thing has a fairly standard "make install" type target (preferably
autoconf + configure --prefix), then it will build you a .deb, .rpm, etc... with the dependency
lists and everything else you need with roughly the same command.

I think that this role should be lete to distrop package manager. They
don't really need us to do the packages and they generally prefer to
maintain them with the distro tools.

What would be better on the other hand would be to offer them a stable
and reliable upstream build system that they could eventually
customize for their needs.

- benoît