couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From till <t...@php.net>
Subject Re: Binary Downloads
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 21:22:26 GMT
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think we should start considering providing binary downloads for our
> users.
>
> The whole topic is a bit of a mess (see below), so I'd propose to start
> small.
>
> 1. This first iteration are links from couchdb.apache.org that are clearly
>   marked as "unofficial 3rd party binary downloads" that are not hosted on
>   ASF infrastructure.
>
> 2. Start with popular platforms.
>
> 3. Use the build-couchdb* script to create a fully self-contained
> directory with
>   CouchDB and all its dependencies in one place that can be rm -rf'd for
>   uninstalling.
>
> * https://github.com/iriscouch/build-couchdb
>

> The above circumvents several things that I hope we can resolve later, but
> that
> I don't consider blocking us from getting the above started.
>
> A. Official ASF releases. Of course, ideally, we should provide official
> ASF
>   binary releases, but I acknowledge that with a small community, we may
> have
>   trouble getting votes and testing for all popular platforms together.
>
>   The nice thing of the proposal above though is, that we can, at any time
>   promote an unofficial build to an official one by voting on it and
> changing
>   it's label on the downloads page.
>
> B. There's many target platforms our users work with and we can't possibly
> try
>   to service them all at once. We can grow this operation as we get
> volunteers
>   to help out with each platform.
>
>   The nice thing here is that we can help a significant portion of users
> with
>   relatively little effort.
>
> C. Using existing package managers. There are many advantages to use
> official
>   package managers for system installation and they should in fact be the
>   preferred way to set up a system, but they tend to be a little bit behind
>   with current releases.
>
>   I'd be super happy to also work with existing package managers to improve
>   the situation there, but I consider this to be outside of the scope of
> this
>   discussion.
>

> What do you think?
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --

Yes and no.

I'm not a fan of rogue binary installs which don't leverage anything
distributions have to offer. It's never all self-contained, e.g. you want
to register the service for a startup procedure and off you go into
specifics of a system and outside a single directory. If anything it should
be specific to the target: on Ubuntu/Debian there should be a launchpad
project which contains updated releases of CouchDB for let's say the
current Ubuntu/Debian releases. On Redhat/CentOS/Fedora a yum-mirror would
be appropriate, etc. pp.. I'm sure each platform has a project to piggyback.

Generally though, I'm not sure what the objective is. E.g. is it to please
people on hackernews (SCNR)? :-D

But for realz: is it to ensure more up-to-date CouchDB (binary) releases on
different platforms? Because that might be something to work on. As far as
binary is concerned, most platforms have something already (Ubuntu, Debian,
*BSD, ...). And some just don't do binary at all (I think Archlinux and
Gentoo would be examples). And then I am not sure if providing a binary to
their users makes sense.

Also to consider: team up with current package maintainers in order to have
more frequent releases etc.. Or at least give that a try, before the
CouchDB project goes off to do their own thing.

Till