couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From till <t...@php.net>
Subject Re: Binary Downloads
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 23:24:53 GMT
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> Randall, Till,
>
> I had hoped I addressed this in my original mail, but let me try again :)
>
> I'm in favour of all the things your are saying, but I'm trying to address
> this scenario:
>
> $ wget $url
> $ tar xzf $archive
> $ ./$dir/couchdb
>  Time to relax.
>
> All the other things we should also do, and please don't let me hold you
> back from doing them :)
>
> A lot of areas need improvement, and I'm attacking a small one without
> trying to boil the ocean. If you think the above is a bad idea, please let
> me know, we shouldn't do it.
>
> But if you think it is okay, then lets do it. And then get to the next
> thing.

I don't think it's a bad idea per se.

I just think this should be tackled with a different approach. If Randall
is up for it that's awesome, Benoit apparently knows about these things as
well and if required I can have a look as well. We maintain some launchpad
things for 'work' as well.

Truth to be told, if these things are already available they just need to
be documented on the download page. Nothing else is required and adding
that to the page (vs. setting up and testing a new binary installer) should
be straight forward. More people can be added to these things to make it
scale. ;-) So in generall I think there is not a huge demand for a custom
binary thing.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but I'd only offer it for targets where
it's necessary and point to other options where available.

I don't know where a binary is "required" or currently not available. Do
you know which platforms really lack binary support?

Till