couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for Intro to CouchDB Coding class
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:27:40 GMT
On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 01:24, Joan Touzet <joant@atypical.net> wrote:
> Hello CouchDB Developers,
>
> Based on an informal survey of CouchDB users who are interested in
> contributing to the project, two key items tend to hold people back:
>
>  1. Knowing Erlang (and the CouchDB coding style)
>  2. Knowing the CouchDB code base
>
> So I decided to further my own grad research in Education, and
> contribute back to CouchDB, by volunteering to coordinate a class for
> 6-20 students.
>
> ** I'd like to propose an Introduction to CouchDB Programming course,
> kicking off January 5, 2012, and ask for support from the current devs
> on this list.
>
> This won't be a traditional classroom course! Students themselves will
> be shaping the direction of the course, the topics covered, and will be
> expected to lead at least one week of online discussion. (I'll be
> providing the pedagogical framework for this Collaborative Learning
> model. This is my area of active research.)
>
> The idea is that, by the end of course (10 weeks or so), participants
> will have learned enough Erlang to have basic competency, and enough
> about the CouchDB code base to contribute. The "final exam" would be
> completing and submitting some number of patches from the outstanding
> bin of bugs in JIRA.
>
> ** I NEED YOUR HELP in two ways:
>
>  A. Suggestions for good reference material (e.g. learnyousomeerlang)
>  B. Volunteers from the current devs to conduct a "guided tour" of
>     1 or more parts of the code
>
> The "guided tours" are the essential bits for this class to be
> successful, and I'd like them as much as possible to be accurate and
> accessible to newbs. These tours could take many forms:
>
>  * A screencast of you talking about some code, e.g. ScreenFlow
>  * A live walkthrough over Adobe Connect video (time donated by my
>    University dep't for the class)
>  * IRC-based runthrough
>  * "Ask the developer" - respond to questions about code on the class
>    forum
>  * You fly everyone out to your house for dinner :) Etc.
>
> ** If you're willing to help out, please reply on or off list and let me
> know. Let's grow the contributor community!
>
> All the best,
> --
> Joan Touzet  |  joant@atypical.net  |  wohali most other places

Yay! Thanks, Joan. I think this idea is amazing and want to help
however I can to make it a success. For now, consider me as
volunteered for at least a couple tours.

Here are some ideas for sections to tour:

 - couch_httpd and request handling
 - replicator
 - couch_index
 - couch_mrview
 - couch_btree
 - couchjs

Maybe these?
 - couch_server
 - couch_stream (does this include multipart stuff?)
 - couch_config, couch-config, modules, supervision, etc...

I'm sure there are a few more clean breakdowns, but that's just off
the top of my head.
>From that list I'm pretty comfortable covering the btree, couchjs and
replicator. Maybe HTTP.

-Randall