couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject JIRA and Git - Achieving Harmony
Date Sun, 27 Nov 2011 00:56:28 GMT
Hi, Devs.

I just finished talking with dch a bit about our latest perspective on
raising contribution workflow to the next level in light of the git
migration and the documentation discussion.

Here's a summary of my observations:

  * Having documentation in the source raises the problem that, while
the wiki was open to any contributors, the source is not directly
accessible or commit by non-committers. We need to make sure that when
we move that direction we keep the barrier to entry low for
documentation contributions.

  * Working with git affords us a special opportunity to try to lower
the barrier on community contributions in general.

In thinking about the role of JIRA going forward, I'm left with the
following observations:

 * JIRA is not leaving the ASF (deeply embedded in existing project
workflows, good svn integration, etc)

 * JIRA is actually quite good at what it does well (tracking issues).
I even would say I like it (and maybe prefer it to Github's issues)

 * Having both Github Enterprise and JIRA fragments the contribution
landscape. This has been my experience in practice at an organization
which uses both.

 * Therefore, we should learn to work in harmony with JIRA, and figure
out how best to get it into our git workflow.

*** Please help me improve the JIRA / Git integration situation ***

I've started a page at https://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/GitJiraIntegration.

-Randall