couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Canonical's decision to move away from CouchDB
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:15:44 GMT
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 18:31, Alex Besogonov <alex.besogonov@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had the problems with Erlang runtime on mobile devices. Specifically, on iOs
> devices. So I started my SofaDB project to replicate the CouchDB replication
> protocol in a simple C++ library.
>
> Consequently, I found that the protocol for conflict resolution is not
> documented anywhere, including the source code :)

I'm most of the way through a JavaScript implementation for PouchDB
(https://github.com/mikea/pouchdb). I'll make sure to comment in
thoroughly. Also, I'll make sure to put some of my attention to
getting that in a wiki whenever we decide to hold our first wiki
sprint (which I'll organize shortly).

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Riyad Kalla <rkalla@gmail.com> wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Canonical-dropping-CouchDB-from-Ubuntu-One-1382809.html
>>
>>> Lenton says Canonical has worked with "the company behind CouchDB" to
>> make the database scale
>>> in a particular way. "Our situation is rather unique and we were unable
>> to resolve some of the issues
>>> we came across," said Lenton, who pointed out they needed to scale to
>> millions of users and scale
>>> down to a "reasonable load on small client machines".
>>
>> Does anyone happen to know exactly what was the blocker(s) for Canonical?
>> e.g. client load time for small mobile devices?

I'd be really interested to hear more from Canonical. I'm disappointed
if they dropped it already. It's only getting much better and they
already put significant work into tying it into their desktop
platform. Finally, I'm not sure what would be a good replacement for
their use case.