couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: Binary Downloads
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2011 16:18:28 GMT
On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 4:07 PM, kowsik <kowsik@gmail.com> wrote:

> Contrast this with CouchDB which has huge dependencies external to
> itself (the right version of erlang, compiling it with just the right
> options, openssl, spidermonkey, etc, etc). Personally, I love the
> simplicity of CouchDBX. One click and boom you are up and running.
> This is philosophical, but ultimately no matter what software you are
> building, if the time to value is going to take a bunch of hoops to
> get through, nobody's going to have the patience.

Yep, CouchDBX is great, but it is still a "toy" version of CouchDB.

Personally, I rely on build-couchdb. @_jhs and others have added
> knowledge into this about OS detection and how best to get couchdb
> setup and compiled and started on specific distro's. It implicitly
> encodes this knowledge of 'on this OS you have to compile erlang with
> these flags' kind of things.

It concerns me that these things are in build-couchdb, and not in CouchDB.
The build system is meant to do all of this for you. That is its raison
d'etre. Downloading and compiling dependancies, fine. We don't want to be
doing that in CouchDB proper. But all of the intelligent CouchDB
configuration stuff needs to be pulled up stream. Is that a big component
of it? Or is most of the deep magic in place to work around problems
configuring our dependancies? Could these things, then, be pushed upstream?