couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Wadholm <rwadh...@maf.org>
Subject The Little Library
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 14:26:09 GMT
Hi, I've recently released a couchapp called The Little Library (thelittlelibrary.com<http://thelittlelibrary.com>),
as a volunteer open source project for (and with) Mission Aviation Fellowship Learning Technologies
(maflt.org<http://maflt.org>), that uses CouchDB as a platform for peer-to-peer open
content learning resource sharing in locations in the world where internet access is sketchy,
but Android mobiles are common. It's meant to help create learning networks for assisting
in the training of pastors and leaders in extremely remote areas, but I'd love it if it were
used anywhere where social learning could be assisted by technology, particularly where community
development is the focus.

The Little Library is an open source application that allows users to upload, store, and share
creative commons licensed content across computers and digital devices, offline and in the
cloud. It was built as a peer-to-peer sharing distributed platform for storing/sharing Open
Licensed content (videos, audio, books, notes, courses, and pictures) for use in educational
settings around the world, where offline learning libraries and automated peer-to-peer replication
of content on local area networks will hopefully help to support constructivist forms of learning
and make this pedagogical model more widespread.

The Little Library is built on CouchDB, JQuery, and JQuery Mobile, along with a small PHP
proxy, and uses Ryan Ramage's CouchApp Takeout (https://github.com/ryanramage/couchapp-takeout)
for installation.

Feel free to set up an account and play with the app (http://littlelibrary.tk), break it,
email me any suggestions, feedback on the code or complaints (rwadholm@maf.org<mailto:rwadholm@maf.org>),
and fork and modify the project and/or submit any issues (https://github.com/rwadholm/The-Little-Library).
Currently, the code is still big, bloated, and ugly, so any tips and help you might volunteer
would be greatly appreciated (you can email me directly)!

I'd also love it if the Little Library could be added to the CouchDB in the Wild page on the
wiki if all possible? (http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/CouchDB_in_the_wild)

Thanks!

Bob
rwadholm@maf.org<mailto:rwadholm@maf.org>