couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: Tweaking the release procedure
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 03:31:46 GMT
On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 5:06 AM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:23 PM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Here's another suggestion.
>>
>> In all vote emails, we include the commit id that the release
>> artifacts were built from, but create no tag at all.
>
> I love it when something is so obvious you wonder why it wasn't apparent in
> the first place. I love this suggestion, and the specifics of how you
> communicate the git commit hash is unimportant. If there's a "describe"
> command to make it easier, so be it. We only tag when we mean to tag a
> release, for reals.

Noah, your previous opinion was superior.

Bob, please consider whether you beat yourself up due to old
Subversion habits. You shout into the aether, "We are all voting on
commit abcdef!" and everybody tries out that commit, understanding
that it could be a Big Deal.

That sounds like a tag by another name. I hope that official ASF
releases could have corresponding persistent, unchanging Git tags; and
also that moments of significance (release votes) would be reflected
in the repository, rather than the mailing list archives.

--
Iris Couch