couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Filipe David Manana <fdman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB 1.1.1
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2011 17:42:06 GMT
Regarding the erlang-oauth and R15 compatibility,

The compilation warnings only happen in the 1.1.x because
src/erlang-oauth/Makefile.am is compiling oauth_rsa_sha1.erl while
trunk and 1.2.x are not.

Our OAuth handler is not supporting rsa-sha1 signatures, so it can be
safely ignored. I think the right thing would be to exclude that file
from the build list.

It was added in the following 1.1.x commit:

https://github.com/apache/couchdb/commit/ea57780780730eb5f2d98f30697e6a8c2b3cf7f7

That said, upgrading to the same erlang-oauth we have in trunk/1.2.x won't help.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 7:10 PM, Filipe David Manana <fdmanana@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>> does the newer erlang-oauth break anything?
>
> Not that I know of.

>>> As pointed out in 2 other related threads, we have some compilation
>>> warnings about functions that will no longer exist in OTP R15 (to be
>>> released by the end of this year):
>>>
>>> /opt/r14b03/bin/erlc +debug_info oauth_http.erl
>>> ./oauth_http.erl:13: Warning: http:request/4 is deprecated and will be
>>> removed in R15B; use httpc:request/4
>>> /opt/r14b03/bin/erlc +debug_info oauth_plaintext.erl
>>> /opt/r14b03/bin/erlc +debug_info oauth_rsa_sha1.erl
>>> ./oauth_rsa_sha1.erl:9: Warning: public_key:pem_to_der/1: deprecated
>>> (will be removed in R15A); use file:read_file/1 and
>>> public_key:pem_decode/1
>>> ./oauth_rsa_sha1.erl:10: Warning: public_key:decode_private_key/1 is
>>> deprecated and will be removed in R15A; use
>>> public_key:pem_entry_decode/1
>>> ./oauth_rsa_sha1.erl:22: Warning: public_key:pem_to_der/1: deprecated
>>> (will be removed in R15A); use file:read_file/1 and
>>> public_key:pem_decode/1
>>> /opt/r14b03/bin/erlc +debug_info oauth_unix.erl
>>>
>>> The ones regarding public_key concern me, as it will break the OAuth
>>> authentication handler.
>>> I see 2 solutions:
>>>
>>> 1) upgrade erlang-oauth to the same version we have in trunk/1.2.x
>>> (doesn't produce these warnings)
>>>
>>> 2) modify the erlang-oauth in 1.1.x and use try catches where the
>>> catch would call the equivalent versions in R14/R15 (these new
>>> functions don't exist in R13B03 for example)
>>>
>>> Naturally, I would prefer 1)
>>>
>>> The warnings about http:request can be ignored I think, as in Couch we
>>> don't use any codepath that will execute the deprecated function

Can we all keep this
I'd appreciate
to build the release