couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <>
Subject Re: Tweaking the release procedure
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 04:03:36 GMT
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Dustin Sallings <> wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2011, at 6:18 PM, Noah Slater wrote:
>> The history is in the X.Y.x release branch. It has no
>> business cluttering up the tags, and no business confusing users about
>> whether it has been blessed by the project.
>        Does this imply you intend to leave branches open forever even when development
on them has stopped?
>        I would say that the history is in the commits that lead up to the tag along
with the release notes being actually *in* the tag.
>        I've seen people keep lots of dead branches around which I find considerably
more confusing than excessive tags since a branch is a dynamic line of development and a tag
is a static commit in time.  If you're not actively doing development, a branch just makes
it look like you might be.
>        It's trivial (in git at least) to reopen a development branch from any previously
released version with cryptographically verified certainty that you have the correct code
that led to that release.

Your argument here and the earlier argument about branches being
temporary tags confuses me. Both are nothing more than pointers at
hashes. This is just a social distinction. This entire thread is
considering social distinctions about community consensus to decide
what will be the value of the 1.1.1 (for immediate reference) tag.

Consider each release a single round of Paxos to generate distributed
consensus on which sha to choose.

>        Not that I think you guys don't know what you're doing or anything.  I'm
coming mostly from a "user" who will be hoping to be using couchdb sources, writing extensions,
and trying hard to make sure whatever changes I make are made available to all couchdb users
and developers.  That and I've got a ridiculous amount of time spent manipulating git repos.
> --
> dustin sallings

View raw message