couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Universal Binary JSON in CouchDB
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 23:44:30 GMT
On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>> -1
>>
>> Supporting multiple formats on disk would be a very difficult code
>> change that would complicate every part of the system, I don't think
>> it's worth it.
>>

> The real problem I see is maintening different format with views and
> replication, t will indeed complicate things.  There are also oher
> tricks that can be used on http/tcp level to speed things. Like
> supporting websockets or other things like that.
>

> - benoit

Yeah, it gets interesting quickly. But that's why I think we should
have the first step of basing things off the accept header for
request/response bodies only. *If* something other than JSON turns
into a noticeable improvement, then we *may* add a replication thing
to use it. But promising to do so right out is, I think, overreaching
a bit.

Plus, if we can't manage to have accept based content-type switching,
why should we think we'd be any better at supporting it internally?