couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tweaking the release procedure
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 03:56:02 GMT
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net> wrote:
>
> v1.7.4.4        Git 1.7.4.4
>> v1.7.4.5        Git 1.7.4.5
>> v1.7.5          Git 1.7.5
>> v1.7.5-rc0      Git 1.7.5-rc0
>> v1.7.5-rc1      Git 1.7.5-rc1
>> v1.7.5-rc2      Git 1.7.5-rc2
>> v1.7.5-rc3      Git 1.7.5-rc3
>> v1.7.5.1        Git 1.7.5.1
>> v1.7.5.2        Git 1.7.5.2
>> v1.7.5.3        Git 1.7.5.3
>> v1.7.5.4        Git 1.7.5.4
>> v1.7.6          Git 1.7.6
>> v1.7.6-rc0      Git 1.7.6-rc0
>> v1.7.6-rc1      Git 1.7.6-rc1
>> v1.7.6-rc2      Git 1.7.6-rc2
>> v1.7.6-rc3      Git 1.7.6-rc3
>> v1.7.6.1        Git 1.7.6.1
>> v1.7.7-rc0      Git 1.7.7-rc0
>>
>>        I very well may be biased, but I don't find that confusing.
>

> Oh, and by extension, I will give my -1 vote to any system that mixes these
> two together. The release tag for X.Y.Z should be tied to an official
> artefact of the Apache CouchDB project. A tag that doesn't pass the vote
> should be deleted. The history is in the X.Y.x release branch. It has no
> business cluttering up the tags, and no business confusing users about
> whether it has been blessed by the project.

Hear hear. My thoughts on this were to try and add a simple convention
to enforce this. Merely by prefixing anything with "rel/" that would
signal an 'official blessing' on the subject in question. There are
any number of ways to do this, and I'm quite open to hearing
alternatives, but this is exactly what I was aiming at. We need a
procedural/community thing that says "these over here are pristine,
these over here are us fucking about."

In my slap dashery I chose the "rel/" prefix. There are definitely
other solutions, but I think Noah has hit the nail on the head in
pointing out the underlying need that we should be discussing.