couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tweaking the release procedure
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2011 03:32:44 GMT
Just read about this thread this morning.

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 3:18 AM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net> wrote:
>
> v1.7.4.4        Git 1.7.4.4
>> v1.7.4.5        Git 1.7.4.5
>> v1.7.5          Git 1.7.5
>> v1.7.5-rc0      Git 1.7.5-rc0
>> v1.7.5-rc1      Git 1.7.5-rc1
>> v1.7.5-rc2      Git 1.7.5-rc2
>> v1.7.5-rc3      Git 1.7.5-rc3
>> v1.7.5.1        Git 1.7.5.1
>> v1.7.5.2        Git 1.7.5.2
>> v1.7.5.3        Git 1.7.5.3
>> v1.7.5.4        Git 1.7.5.4
>> v1.7.6          Git 1.7.6
>> v1.7.6-rc0      Git 1.7.6-rc0
>> v1.7.6-rc1      Git 1.7.6-rc1
>> v1.7.6-rc2      Git 1.7.6-rc2
>> v1.7.6-rc3      Git 1.7.6-rc3
>> v1.7.6.1        Git 1.7.6.1
>> v1.7.7-rc0      Git 1.7.7-rc0
>>
>>        I very well may be biased, but I don't find that confusing.
>

> Oh, and by extension, I will give my -1 vote to any system that mixes these
> two together. The release tag for X.Y.Z should be tied to an official
> artefact of the Apache CouchDB project. A tag that doesn't pass the vote
> should be deleted. The history is in the X.Y.x release branch. It has no
> business cluttering up the tags, and no business confusing users about
> whether it has been blessed by the project.

if we where going to something "semantic", then it should probably be
rc1.1.x and v1.1.x ...  Though I don't like it so much, and it's not
really used around. (also just because a buzz around a semver page has
been done doesn't mean it should be used).

X.X.X for stable version and X.X.X-rcX for release control ? Having
tag looking like blah/X.X.X sounds odd . I'm not sure we need to
reinvent the wold.

About messages in releases and tag I never read them, but couldn't it
simply summarize the vote? CHANGES is better to read release notes ,
also this is the thing that is distributed in the archive.

my 2 cents,

- benoît

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brOWtKkHo1M
- benoît