couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Riyad Kalla <rka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Universal Binary JSON in CouchDB
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 21:43:48 GMT
Tim's work is certainly the catalyst for my excitement about the potential
here for Couch.

As Paul pointed out, the correct discussion to have at this point is really
about "do we support a binary format for responses" and if so "which
one"? That discussion could go on for an eternity with everyone voting for
their favorite (protobuff, smile, messagepack, etc.).

The only reason I bring up the "disk store format" discussion into this
conversion is to offer a hat-tip to a future where a binary response format
selected now may dovetail nicely with alternative binary disk formats,
enabling the stream-directly-from-disk scenario.

If we were to hypothetically remove the possibility of the on-disk format
ever changing, then I suppose the decision of binary response format just
becomes an issue of "Which one is fast and easy to generate?".

-R