couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tweaking the release procedure
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 04:34:50 GMT
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 20:31, Jason Smith <jhs@iriscouch.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 5:06 AM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:23 PM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Here's another suggestion.
> >>
> >> In all vote emails, we include the commit id that the release
> >> artifacts were built from, but create no tag at all.
> >
> > I love it when something is so obvious you wonder why it wasn't apparent
> in
> > the first place. I love this suggestion, and the specifics of how you
> > communicate the git commit hash is unimportant. If there's a "describe"
> > command to make it easier, so be it. We only tag when we mean to tag a
> > release, for reals.
>
> Noah, your previous opinion was superior.
>
> Bob, please consider whether you beat yourself up due to old
> Subversion habits. You shout into the aether, "We are all voting on
> commit abcdef!" and everybody tries out that commit, understanding
> that it could be a Big Deal.
>
> That sounds like a tag by another name. I hope that official ASF
> releases could have corresponding persistent, unchanging Git tags; and
> also that moments of significance (release votes) would be reflected
> in the repository, rather than the mailing list archives.
>
> --
> Iris Couch

I'll stay brief, because I'm intimidated by this thread.

I hear the call for semver and fully support it. I would be sad if we ended
up with release/X.Y.Z instead of vX.Y.Z.

Reading over the spec, I see that it calls for ASCII sorting of components,
which suggests that rc would obsolete vote which means all of the following
tags are valid and ordered correctly:

v1.2rc1-vote1
v1.2rc1-vote2
v1.2rc1
v1.2rc2-vote1
v1.2rc2
v1.2

Seems right and simple to me. I'd have to scrutinize it closely and try a
few, but I'm pretty sure the rpm version comparison would agree with this
ordering. Anyone know about deb? Others?

If the last vote tag is identical to the release tag in terms of referenced
commit then that seems to fit all the desired properties of immutability and
history.

-Randall