couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: Tweaking the release procedure
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 20:04:13 GMT
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:54 PM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org>wrote:
>

>> Good suggestion on the -vote1 suffix instead of -rc1.  Gets my vote.
>>  Best,
>>

> It sounds trivial, but I think it's important to namespace these instead of
> using suffixes.

It might be good to get the NS matched up to the dist/ structure.

How about:

vote/X.Y.Z/n maps to dist/X.Y.Z/n

Where n is the round number.

So, taking the next round of voting on 1.1.1, we would have:

    http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/1.1.1/3

And this would be built from the "vote/1.1.1/3" tag in Git.

We'd then copy this to the "release/1.1.1" tag in Git once the vote passed.

As far as I can see, this solves all of the problems identified so far
except one. The ASF suggests (as does Jukka in this thread) that nothing be
required of the source code once the vote passes. I don't think we can
satisfy this requirement. But how important that is depends on what the
reasoning for the request is. If it is about making sure that you have an
absolute pointer to the code that was used to build the release artefacts,
does a re-tag as described above satisfy that constraint from a technical
perspective? See what I'm getting at?