couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:56:50 GMT
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> It is only unstable in certain environments and we are constantly improving
> all tests to be more stable in all environments, but the browser world is
> harsh :)
>
> I'd still consider having the test better than not having it at all :)

I disagree, of course. :)

Unstable tests are a massive problem, because they reduce the overall trust
we have in the test suite. For a test suite to be meaningful, it needs to be
a rock solid contract between the developers and the testers, or users. I
think I'm preaching to the choir here though. As far as I understand it, the
current goal is to move the test suite to a CLI version, and morph the Futon
tests into a high-level sanity check.