couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: Tweaking the release procedure
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 19:55:42 GMT
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:

The arguments in the other thread about immutable tags are laudable
> but irrelevant. The tags in our source control system are not the
> source of truth for our releases. The presence of the release on the
> Apache mirrors is. The entire discussion around -rcX suffixes is to
> avoid any confusion between the failed artifacts and the release
> artifact. While a genuine concern, it's not worth all this soul
> searching in my opinion. The real 1.1.1 comes from the mirrors. When
> it's available on our mirrors then it also means that the 1.1.1 tag in
> source control points to it (and always will).

I don't think this is true.

It's important to have a concrete pointer to the source that produced the
official release artefacts. I don't think it's good enough to just say
"whatever is under dist/ is the release artefact, you can't rely on our Git
to mean anything."