couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: Tweaking the release procedure
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 01:15:18 GMT
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net> wrote:

I've always considered anything I give out to be a release.  This includes
> betas and RCs and anything else.

It's important to clear up that this is NOT the case for Apache projects. A
release is a set of artefacts that have been successfully voted on by the
community and then released according to our official release procedure.
Anything else, including the artefacts we vote on that don't make the cut,
are not considered releases. And this isn't just a choice of wording either,
it's a very important distinction.

Anyone can prepare an artefact and put it up for the vote, but only
artefacts that pass the muster are considered releases. The term "release
candidate" is not an official term, and it is not defined in the ASF
literature or as part of the release process. It's probably a bad choice of
words too, as in other projects, a release candidate IS a sort of release
that is made by the project. We don't do that here.

Hope this clears things up!