couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: Tweaking the release procedure
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 01:23:09 GMT
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net> wrote:

In the above example, if someone downloaded and is currently running
> 1.1.1-rc1 and he looks at the list of tags and sees v1.1.1, v1.1.1-rc1 and
> v1.1.1-rc2, why would be confused?  More importantly, you released that, so
> why would you not want the user to be able to see whether any changes
> between 1.1.1-rc1 and 1.1.1 final affect his deployment?

If someone has downloaded and is running an artefact from a botched release
vote, our release procedure has failed us catastrophically. Nobody should
EVER be running these as-of-yet-not-approved release artefacts. Except for
testing and voting, obviously. Hence, the only reason you'd want to see what
the changes were between 1.1.1-rc1 and 1.1.1 would be for testing a second
round of voting. Perhaps we should eschew the "release candidate"
nomenclature if it is causing these problems? I am worried that we might be
sending the wrong message to our users who expect this terminology to mean
something else entirely. Oh, and Sorry about replying in
a piecemeal fashion!