couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: Tweaking the release procedure
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 03:37:47 GMT
On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Jason Smith <jhs@iriscouch.com> wrote:

> That sounds like a tag by another name. I hope that official ASF
> releases could have corresponding persistent, unchanging Git tags; and
> also that moments of significance (release votes) would be reflected
> in the repository, rather than the mailing list archives.

Note that it effectively mirrors what we did with Subversion. Every time we
cut a new tag for the vote, we'd delete and recreate the tags/X.Y.Z
directory. So the only way to find what we were voting for, without using
the mailing list, was to look back through the history of that path.
Admittedly, we'd loose the ability to automatically detect when a release
branch was "cut" for the release by looking at Git. But the mailing list
 has that information. So is it really a big deal? The mailing list is a
permanent feature of the project, and just as essential as Git.