couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: Tweaking the release procedure
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:11:10 GMT
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net> wrote:

IMO, simplicity and conventions win here.  Tags should be treated as
> immutable pointers to commits that had some meaning and should be named and
> labeled meaningfully as well.  Branches are pointers to works in progress.
>  When work is "finished", they can be tagged and deleted.  If you do this,
> all of the defaults work and you don't have to invent and document as much.

The only way I can see this working then is to "move" the tag once a vote
passes. Whether this involves duplicating the tag, or creating a new one
that points to the same thing, I don't know. Other people with more Git-fu
can step in here. But we need a way of blessing tags that works with
downstream repositories, and that separates them out from defunct tags that
never made the cut.