couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: Tweaking the release procedure
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:33:47 GMT
I'm a git luddite, so please excuse any obviously barbarous things I might
say.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>wrote:

1. When tagging release candidates, the tag would be of the pattern:

>     tags/rc/X.Y.Z-rcN
>
> 2. When a release formally passes a vote, we would copy the tag to:
>
>     tags/rel/X.Y.Z

This strikes me as being needlessly complex.

Why not just have a top level tags/ directory that prevents rewriting. In
that you'd tag a release candidate as X.Y.Z-rc1, X.Y.Z-rc2, etc until a vote
passed, at which point, you copy the tag to X.Y.Z. I don't see a need
to separate these out with a second level directory.

> 3. I think we discussed this before, but we should also place the rc
> artefacts into a directory named as such (IIRC, we decided that the
> name shouldn't change). Ie, 1.1.1 would be stored at:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/1.1.1/rc1/apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz

Same deal.

Let's keep the hierarchy flat and have it as dist/X.Y.Z-rc1 to match.

> 4. Making new release branches we should name them:
>
>    branches/rel/X.Y.x

Why the additional subdirectory here?

Is there anything causing problems with the old branches/X.Y.x scheme?

> 5. For continuity, I'd also propose copying all of our older tags and
> branches to the new pattern (while keeping the current versions around
> for an extended period of time).

Sure.