couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <>
Subject Re: Tweaking the release procedure
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 03:10:44 GMT
On Oct 19, 2011, at 10:53 PM, Dustin Sallings <> wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2011, at 6:56 PM, Adam Kocoloski wrote:
>> I think you might be reading a bit too much into what Noah is saying here.  I believe
he's just taking issue with the two separate rc/ and rel/ "paths" in the tag names.  For what
it's worth I agree with him on that front, though I'd consider going even further (as Paul
suggested earlier in the thread) and just prevent rewriting of any tag pushed to the ASF remote.
 Then there's no need for any tag prefix at all.  Best,
>    I don't think that's different from what I said.  Tags don't generally have "paths"
(it's 1.4rc1 or it isn't) and git makes it hard to overwrite them because it's a bad idea
and will only lead to confusion.
>    IMO, there just isn't room or need to innovate here.  Code's cooked in various dev
branches.  That gets rolled up into an "official" branch towards a feature or release.  Once
a release is almost ready, alpha, beta and RC tags get dropped in aligned with the same version
numbers the server will report.  Once it's done, you can retag a commit with a newer tag that
calls it done and it's shipped.
> --
> dustin sallings

Git makes it hard, but by no means impossible.  The whole reason these "paths" are even on
the table is to add some immutability to the official ASF repo.  A little less convention,
a little more configuration.  Best,

View raw message