couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dustin Sallings <dus...@spy.net>
Subject Re: Tweaking the release procedure
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 01:04:15 GMT

On Oct 19, 2011, at 2:33 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

> Why not just have a top level tags/ directory that prevents rewriting. In
> that you'd tag a release candidate as X.Y.Z-rc1, X.Y.Z-rc2, etc until a vote
> passed, at which point, you copy the tag to X.Y.Z. I don't see a need
> to separate these out with a second level directory.

	Probably best to not consider tags as svn refers to them.  It's not a copy, just a pointer
to a commit that was the last one in the release (which, in turn, points to the commits that
preceded it).

	In git, tags generally get a ref prefix of refs/tags/ (it's more of a namespace than a directory).
 I'd recommend not doing anything different from what git will give you out of the box.  Tag
your rc, tag it again when it becomes a release.

	Tags are intentionally hard to rid yourself of in git.  Once you publish a "this is 2.5",
getting a second chance requires coordination.  You can overwrite them locally, of course,
but once they're published and replicated, the down streams basically have to agrees to move.

	I'm a bit of a bystander, but I'd really want to see strong justification for not wanting
to use git's normal tools and methodologies.

--
dustin sallings