couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dustin Sallings <dus...@spy.net>
Subject Re: Tweaking the release procedure
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 03:01:49 GMT

On Oct 20, 2011, at 6:18 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

> The history is in the X.Y.x release branch. It has no
> business cluttering up the tags, and no business confusing users about
> whether it has been blessed by the project.

	Does this imply you intend to leave branches open forever even when development on them has
stopped?

	I would say that the history is in the commits that lead up to the tag along with the release
notes being actually *in* the tag.

	I've seen people keep lots of dead branches around which I find considerably more confusing
than excessive tags since a branch is a dynamic line of development and a tag is a static
commit in time.  If you're not actively doing development, a branch just makes it look like
you might be.

	It's trivial (in git at least) to reopen a development branch from any previously released
version with cryptographically verified certainty that you have the correct code that led
to that release.

	Not that I think you guys don't know what you're doing or anything.  I'm coming mostly from
a "user" who will be hoping to be using couchdb sources, writing extensions, and trying hard
to make sure whatever changes I make are made available to all couchdb users and developers.
 That and I've got a ridiculous amount of time spent manipulating git repos.

--
dustin sallings