couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "J. Lee Coltrane" <...@projectmastermind.com>
Subject Re: futon tests (Was: Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release)
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 03:38:26 GMT

> For what it's worth, a CLI based test system is what I was imagining
> as well. Take Futon out of the mix and test CouchDB.

IMO, If CouchDB is intended to be a server that can be accessed from
the browser directly, then there should continue to be some kind of
browser-based test suite that would serve to confirm this capability.

I have been looking closely at the Futon tests in 1.1.0 for the last
several days, with the idea that I might begin to clean them up a bit
as time permits.

I have found that, while some of these test failures are totally bogus,
*some* of them actually do stem from real issues -- minor
incompatibilities between CouchDB's http interface, and the internal
mechanisms of modern browsers (XHR, caching, etc).

These are problems that we're not going to catch with a stateless,
cache-less http client running on the CLI.  (I can provide examples)

These issues have the potential to cause real problems for
developers of real browser-based apps "in the wild".  That means,
there's valuable info to be gathered from the browser tests, Iff we
can clean them up, and make them behave consistently; so that
when they fail or succeed, we can actually trust the results.

After digging around a good bit, I can see no reason why the existing
tests couldn't be cleaned up and made to work correctly in all current
versions of major browsers.  I also see no reason why the same tests
couldn't be used successfully from the CLI and `make check` as well.

I do see significant benefits to using the same javascript test code in
all environments we test.

-Lee
(irc: coltr)