couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The _security object should be versioned
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2011 14:51:45 GMT
On Aug 17, 2011, at 10:35 AM, Jason Smith wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 9:18 PM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
>> I believe the _security object should be versioned in order to ease synchronization
of the object between databases.  This proposal is motivated (unsurprisingly) by BigCouch,
which typically stores multiple copies of each database in a multi-master configuration.
When the _security object is written in BigCouch the update is issued to all available shards.
 We run into problems if an update is issued while some shards are unavailable, because we
don't know how to synchronize the divergent copies once all the shards are back online.

>> In my head I see us representing the _security object using a #full_doc_info, just
as we would a document.  Unlike documents the _security object (or a pointer to it) would
still be written in the header of the database for fast access during request processing.

>> I haven't quite decided what I think the API should look like, e.g. whether the full
document API (including attachments?) should be supported.  Regards,

> In the spirit of re-using existing working components:
>
> How do you feel about migrating to a blessed _local/security document?
> Maybe its latest version could be cached in the header for speed?
>
> Pros:
>
> * Couch gets (conceptually) simpler rather than more complex
> * It's versioned, you get full doc semantics
> * It doesn't replicate, but 3rd-party tools can pseudo-replicate it as needed
> * Design documents can enforce policies: if(doc._id == _local/security
> && doc.members.length == 0) throw {forbidden:"This database may never
> be public"}
>
> Eagerly awaiting a list of cons :)

The only trouble I have with _local/security is that _local documents are represented using
#doc records instead of #full_doc_info records.  As such, they have no support for MVCC.
If we managed to get into a situation where the copies of the _local/security document had
really diverged (instead of one copy simply missing some updates), we'd have a difficult time
merging those conflicting versions.

On the other hand, the challenges I'm having with _security happen with any _local document,
too.  Perhaps the right approach is to upgrade the storage format for the local tree to use
#full_doc_info and store the _security object as a _local document like you suggest (cached
on opening the database, of course).

> Since the _security object is conveniently glued to databases but not
> replicated, I have been tempted to overload it to store per-database
> security settings. There is the CORS discussion, but even simple
> stuff:
>
> { "admins": {"names":[...], "roles":[...]}
> , "members": {"names":[...], "roles":[...]}
> , "read_only": true
> , "create_only": true
> , "delete_only": true
> , "changes_only_allowed_on":"thursday"
> }
>
> // validate_doc_update
> function(newDoc, oldDoc, userCtx, secObj) {
>    // read_only, create_only, delete_only obviously aren't true at the
>    // same time, just making a concise example.
>
>    // Read-only example
>    if(secObj.read_only)
>      throw {forbidden: "This database is read-only"};
>
>    // Create-only example
>    if(oldDoc && secObj.create_only)
>      throw {forbidden: "This database is create-only"};
>
>    // Delete-only example
>    if(!newDoc._deleted && secObj.delete_only)
>      throw {forbidden: "This database is delete-only"};
>
>    // Changes only allowed on Thursday left as an exercise.
> }
>
> However I have not done that because I'm not sure if it is "with the
> grain" in CouchDB. Maybe these are best swallowed up into the ddoc
> itself. (But then when I replicate, now I have to quickly update that
> ddoc for that database's security environment.)

I have no qualms about adding that sort of information to _security.  Regards,

Adam