couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <>
Subject The replicator needs a superuser mode
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:26:04 GMT
One of the principal uses of the replicator is to "make this database look like that one".
 We're unable to do that in the general case today because of the combination of validation
functions and out-of-order document transfers.  It's entirely possible for a document to be
saved in the source DB prior to the installation of a ddoc containing a validation function
that would have rejected the document, for the replicator to install the ddoc in the target
DB before replicating the other document, and for the other document to then be rejected by
the target DB.

I propose we add a role which allows a user to bypass validation, or else extend that privilege
to the _admin role.  We should still validate updates by default and add a way (a new qs param,
for instance) to indicate that validation should be skipped for a particular update.  Thoughts?

View raw message