couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Ramage <ryan.ram...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The replicator needs a superuser mode
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 15:42:42 GMT
> This is only slightly related, but I'm dreaming of /db/_dump and /db/_restore endpoints
(the names don't matter, could be one with GET / PUT) that just ships verbatim .couch files
over HTTP. It would be for admins only, it would not be incremental (although we might be
able to add that), and I haven't yet thought through all the concurrency and error case implications,
the above solves more than the proposed problem and in a very different, but I thought I throw
it in the mix.

+1 on /db/_dump and /db/_restore endpoints!! Very beneficial to us
little people trying to make installers like couchapp-takeout, and
could even be used from futon to create a database from a remote db. I
am anecdotally noticing that using replication to create a local
database from a remote one with lots of attachments takes a long time,
is prone to timeouts, and gets stuck (been working with jhs on this).
Dump/restore will be also much faster, eliminating the small requests.