couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Futon Test Suite
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 15:17:32 GMT
On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 4:11 AM, Jens Rantil <jens.rantil@telavox.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does JS engine come bundled with HTTP request implementation or is that browser specific?
If they do, you could execute the browser tests by running them through a JavaScript engine
directly? That way you can preserve the JavaScript code, still run the tests and skip your
favorite browser.

> My five cents,
>
> /Jens
>
> Sent from my cellphone

This is precisely how our current JS CLI test runner works. There's a
directory ./test/javascript/ in the tarballs and in SVN that contains
the code to turn CouchJS into a minimal JS environment with a fake XHR
class. The idea currently floating in my head involves abandoning the
"pretend to be a browser" approach and is more focused on creating a
useful HTTP testing environment in JS and then refactoring our test
code to use that instead.

> On 9 aug 2011, at 10:49, "Paul Davis" <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Paul,
>>>
>>>  Jan and I talked about this a few times and I started a branch[1] along that
idea. So far all I did was make a copy of the then current Futon tests into
>>> test/javascript/test  and started looking at the small handful that fail.
>>>
>>>   The browser tests are great (any test is good) but they have too many browser
 dependent quirks, or at least I assume that because of the pleasant surprise
>>> one gets when they all run. So I think the goal of these runner tests would be
some sort of official HTTP API suite that's part of "make check". Would you agree?
>>> If so I'm happy to take this on.
>>>
>>>   Also I've found eunit to be helpful in BigCouch and wondering how hard it
would be to support eunit in couchdb. Having tests in the modules is very good for not