couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject The _security object should be versioned
Date Sat, 27 Aug 2011 16:14:22 GMT
On Saturday, August 27, 2011, Filipe David Manana <fdmanana@apache.org>
wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Jason Smith <jhs@iriscouch.com> wrote:
>> 1. Does this require updating the replicator to update _local docs
correctly?

> Yes
>
>> 2. Only admins can change _security. But anybody with read access can
>> change _local/*. Does couch special-case _local/security?
>
> My preference:
>
> _security would become a regular document (just a special id, which
> starts with underscore). We can still cache the latest revision in the
> db header, db updater state, whatever.
>
> This _security document (or perhaps any other starting with underscore
> in the future), would only be replicable if the replication is
> triggered by some special user with some special role (_admin,
> _server_admin, whatever).
>
> Does it sound simple and satisfies people's needs?
>

>> --
>> Iris Couch

_security doc or object is something we need available each time we open a
db thoug. So having it in db headers has a lot of sense imo.  If it's savd
with #full_doc_* semantic does it means it will be saved in the db, and we
keep a pointer to it in the db header ? Or would it still be saved in the db
header?

- benoit