couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Harvey <d...@arandomurl.com>
Subject Re: The replicator needs a superuser mode
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2011 02:16:30 GMT
On 17 August 2011 02:47, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2011, at 8:20 PM, Randall Leeds wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 17:03, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org>
> wrote:

> >> Why
> >> this
> >>
> >> Blech, really?
> >>
> >> Q: What request do I issue to guarantee all my documents are stored in
> this
> >> other database?
> >>
> >> A: Unpossible.
> >>
> >> Practically speaking we need it at Cloudant because we use replication
> >> move users' databases between clusters.  If it's not seen as generally
> >> useful that's ok, just surprising.  Best,
> >>

> > I understand the motivation a little better now. I'm not sure it's
> generally
> > useful. I think _dump/_load might be, but I'd rather see users craft
> around
> > validation as part of their replication strategy rather than increase the
> > query option population.
> >
> > I'm not sure I'm against admin user context bypassing validation docs,
> > though.
>
> That's interesting.  It sounds like you're motivated to minimize the
> surface area of the API.  I can respect that.  I'm not sure I like _admins
> automatically bypassing validation, though, because we already require
> _admin to update _design docs, so it's not as if we can make the use of
> _admin particularly rare.  Will think on it.  Best,
>
> Adam

Just to point out a very useful usecase for /_dump /_load endpoint, on
mobile we need to ship preloaded data / applications, I originally curl'd
design docs and PUT them on starteup, but the resulting files are large and
startup time is slow, replicating isnt an option.

Now we use .couch files to preload data, however all my stuff is in a hosted
server where I dont have access to scp (I can just copy them down to servers
where I can access .couch files, but speaking on behalf of new users /
making things as easy as possible)