couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bringing automatic compaction into trunk
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:59:31 GMT
I'm -1 on the approach (as I understand it) taken by the scheduler as
it will be problematic in precisely the circumstance when you'd most
want auto compaction (large numbers of databases and views).

To this point "Just curious, would it make a big difference to commit
the patch before srcmv and migrate it with the rest of the code base
rather than letting it rot in JIRA and leave it all to Filipe to keep
it updated." -- I'm -∞ on any suggestion that code should be put in
trunk to stop it from rotting. Code should land when it's ready. I
hope we're all agreed on that and that this paragraph was redundant.

After srcmv, and then some work to OTP-ify each of the resultant
subdirs, we should add this as a separate application. We might also
mark it as beta in the first release to gather feedback from the
community.

I'll be accused of 'stop energy' within nanoseconds of this post so I
should end by saying I'm +1 on couchdb gaining the ability to
automatically compact its databases and views in principle.

B.

On 16 August 2011 13:19, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
> Good points Robert,
>
> I replied inline and then hijacked the thread for a more general discussion, sorry about
that  :)

> On Aug 16, 2011, at 2:08 PM, Robert Dionne wrote:
>
>> Filipe,
>>
>>  This is neat, I can definitely see the utility of the approach. I do share the
concerns expressed in other comments with respect to the use of the config file for per db
compaction specs and the use of a compact_loop that waits on config change messages when the
ets table is empty. I don't think it fully takes into account the use case of large numbers
of small dbs and/or some very large dbs interspersed with a lot of mid-size dbs.

> As I seid in the ticket, per-db config is desirable, but I think outside of the scope
of the ticket.

>>  Anyway I like it a lot though I've only read the code for 1/2 and hour or so. I
also agree with others that the code base is reaching a point of being a bit crufty and it
might be a good time with the git migration, etc.. to take a breath and commit to making some
of these OTP compliant changes and design changes we've talked about.

> Just curious, would it make a big difference to commit the patch before srcmv and migrate
it with the rest of the code base rather than letting it rot in JIRA and leave it all to Filipe
to keep it updated.

> I also fear that a srcmv'd release is still out a bit and I'd really like to see this
one (and a few others) go into 1.2 (as per my previous mail to this list in another thread).
While it isn't the absolute perfect solution in all cases, it is disabled by default and manual
compaction strategies work as they did before. In the meantime, we can refine the rest of
the system to make it more fully fledged and maybe even enable it by default a few versions
down when we are all comfortable with it. I'm not very comfortable keeping good patches in
JIRA and not trunk until they solve every little edge case. We haven't worked like this in
the past and I don't think it is worth doing.