couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The replicator needs a superuser mode
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 15:08:04 GMT
+1 on the intention but we'll need to be careful. The use case is
specifically to allow verbatim migration of databases between servers.
A separate role makes sense as I'm not sure of the consequences of
explicitly granting this ability to the existing _admin role.

B.

On 16 August 2011 15:26, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
> One of the principal uses of the replicator is to "make this database look like that
one".  We're unable to do that in the general case today because of the combination of validation
functions and out-of-order document transfers.  It's entirely possible for a document to
be saved in the source DB prior to the installation of a ddoc containing a validation function
that would have rejected the document, for the replicator to install the ddoc in the target
DB before replicating the other document, and for the other document to then be rejected by
the target DB.

> I propose we add a role which allows a user to bypass validation, or else extend that
privilege to the _admin role.  We should still validate updates by default and add a way
(a new qs param, for instance) to indicate that validation should be skipped for a particular
update.  Thoughts?