couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The replicator needs a superuser mode
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2011 00:20:53 GMT
On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 17:03, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2011, at 5:46 PM, Randall Leeds wrote:
>
> > -1 on _skip_validation and new role
> >
> > One can always write a validation document that considers the role, no?
> Why
> > can't users who need this functionality craft a validation function for
> this
> > purpose? This sounds like a blog post and not a database feature.
>
> Blech, really?
>
> Q: What request do I issue to guarantee all my documents are stored in this
> other database?
>
> A: Unpossible.
>
> Practically speaking we need it at Cloudant because we use replication to
> move users' databases between clusters.  If it's not seen as generally
> useful that's ok, just surprising.  Best,

I understand the motivation a little better now. I'm not sure it's generally
useful. I think _dump/_load might be, but I'd rather see users craft around
validation as part of their replication strategy rather than increase the
query option population.

I'm not sure I'm against admin user context bypassing validation docs,
though.