couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Configuration Load Order
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 18:30:13 GMT

On 16 Aug 2011, at 02:20, Jason Smith wrote:

> Is it possible to deprecate the .ini files as a configuration tool? In
> other words, tell the world: "Configure CouchDB over HTTP via the
> /_config URLs, probably via Futon."

I think this proposal reaches too far.

Having the configuration in the ini files is good for a number of reasons. It allows you to
configure CouchDB without actually running CouchDB. Following on from that, it allows you
to rescue a CouchDB instance that is misbehaving, even if you are unable to access CouchDB.
It lets sysadmins version the files, perform audits, as well as allowing them to easily integrate
CouchDB within automatic deployment and configuration systems.

If there are certain types of things that people regularly want to do via CouchDB itself,
such as URL handlers, or users, then I see no reason why this stuff shouldn't be moved to
CouchDB itself. But this type of thing should probably be handled on a case-by-case basis.
Anything which relates to the CouchDB server in a more general sense, should stay in the system
configuration files.