couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The replicator needs a superuser mode
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2011 14:11:50 GMT

On 17 Aug 2011, at 11:06, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

> Philosophy apart, dump and restore could be indeed useful to bootstrap
> db, make plain backup/restore strategies, exchange dbs over a disk/mem
> card without any couch installed etc.

Yep, but in my mind this should live outside CouchDB's HTTP API. A dump and restore tool that
lived on the command line, like the Subversion hotcopy stuff is the first thing that springs
to mind. Or PostgreSQL's pgdump tool, or whatever. But as far as I understand the current
file format, you should be able to just rsync the .couch files while the database is running.