couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bringing automatic compaction into trunk
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:19:59 GMT
Good points Robert,

I replied inline and then hijacked the thread for a more general discussion, sorry about that
 :)

On Aug 16, 2011, at 2:08 PM, Robert Dionne wrote:

> Filipe,
>
>  This is neat, I can definitely see the utility of the approach. I do share the concerns
expressed in other comments with respect to the use of the config file for per db compaction
specs and the use of a compact_loop that waits on config change messages when the ets table
is empty. I don't think it fully takes into account the use case of large numbers of small
dbs and/or some very large dbs interspersed with a lot of mid-size dbs.

As I seid in the ticket, per-db config is desirable, but I think outside of the scope of the
ticket.

>  Anyway I like it a lot though I've only read the code for 1/2 and hour or so. I also
agree with others that the code base is reaching a point of being a bit crufty and it might
be a good time with the git migration, etc.. to take a breath and commit to making some of
these OTP compliant changes and design changes we've talked about.

Just curious, would it make a big difference to commit the patch before srcmv and migrate
it with the rest of the code base rather than letting it rot in JIRA and leave it all to Filipe
to keep it updated.

I also fear that a srcmv'd release is still out a bit and I'd really like to see this one
(and a few others) go into 1.2 (as per my previous mail to this list in another thread). While
it isn't the absolute perfect solution in all cases, it is disabled by default and manual
compaction strategies work as they did before. In the meantime, we can refine the rest of
the system to make it more fully fledged and maybe even enable it by default a few versions
down when we are all comfortable with it. I'm not very comfortable keeping good patches in
JIRA and not trunk until they solve every little edge case. We haven't worked like this in
the past and I don't think it is worth doing.

Cheers
Jan