couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dustin Sallings <dus...@spy.net>
Subject git conversion (was: Re: dev Digest of: thread.17379)
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2011 18:57:33 GMT

	[sorry for screwing up the subject]

On Aug 8, 2011, at 11:22 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

> Nice! Any hints you have about validating SVN->Git conversions or
> tooling would be greatly appreciated. I don't really have much other
> than the obvious Graphviz plotting tool. Beyond that I don't have
> anything other than getting each TLP to verify their own history.

	I wrote a tool that would take two git trees that had no common history, but were expected
to converge on the same tree state and show a graphical diff as part of the memcached conversion.
 It produces output that looks like this:

		http://public.west.spy.net/memcached/compare.html

	As it is, it won't help you much if you're planning to move source around *during* the conversion,
but it does a good job of verifying that you didn't break anything in rebasing, updating commit
messages, changing authors, committers, etc...

	Basically, you just need two refs in a single git repo (old-branch vs. rewritten-stuff) and
run "git tree-converge old-branch rewritten-stuff" and you get tons of html spewed at you.

	https://github.com/dustin/bindir/blob/master/git-tree-converge

> I'm also not sure if it makes a difference, but the ASF SVN repo is
> one huge monolithic thing, so it's a lot of project histories
> intertwined which I'm looking forward to finding awesome conversion
> bugs with.

	The biggest problem I've had with such things is actually having svn be willing to give up
the history.  As long as you can get it out in any way at all, we can fix it.  The worst case
would be doing a complete reproduction of the svn history in a monolithic git repo.  I can
work with that.  It's likely unnecessary.

	My experience with svn has never been good and I wouldn't call myself an expert there, but
if we can get the content out successfully, I can help you do all kinds of junk with it.

--
dustin sallings