couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Futon Test Suite
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2011 11:40:22 GMT

On Aug 11, 2011, at 1:23 PM, Robert Newson wrote:

> Somewhat OT but you reminded me of something.
>
> The 'verify my install' on trunk strikes me as a bad idea. If someone
> reports a bug and says that the verify passes, I'm always going to ask
> them to run the test suite too.

That is the intended way.

> It exists, it seems, because the test suite is too slow.

It exists because the test suite is too brittle and does way too much to test whether an installation
is generally sound.

> As Paul has noted, some tests are slow not because
> they are doing a lot of tests, as some have claimed, but because they
> unilaterally wait for several seconds per iteration. That is, they
> just aren't that well written.
>
> Can we make the test suite faster, more reliable, and less intrusive
> (i.e, not blow away your admins, etc)?

Yes, but not without significant effort that in the past three years where we all agreed that
the extensive test suite is a bad idea as is nobody has shouldered. So my hopes are low.

Cheers
Jan