couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Configuration Load Order
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 08:43:22 GMT
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On 18 Jul 2011, at 20:42, Noah Slater wrote:
>>> What is wrong is the place where (some) _writes_ go. Don't know if possible,
>>> but, continuing in your example, changes in geocouch config should go to
>>> geocouch.ini, other changes to local.ini. Or maybe changes to existing key
>>> should go to the file from where it was effectively read, new keys to
>>> local.ini. Or maybe this is way too complicated :-)
>>
>> Also agreed.
>>
>> There is obviously a problem in where we write back to. But I don't necessarily think
this means we need to break implicit compatibility with system behaviour expectations. Perhaps
a way to solve it would be to write out to a generated.ini file that is loaded last.

> My understanding is that local.ini is that generated.ini.
>
> Ideally, we'd track which config setting came from which file and write to the appropriate
"local" counterpart, but I'm not willing to write the necessary code for that.

> I'm willing to patch the read order to make sure changes get written to local.ini however.
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --

Maybe generated conf could go in a couch.cfg file to make clear
distinction between what we can edit (and local.ini is one) and others
?

- benoƮt