couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Configuration Load Order
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:52:06 GMT
+1

On 18 July 2011 17:14, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> we found an oddity with the way we read config files and directories on startup.
>
> From the 0.10.0 docs (http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Breaking_changes#Modular_Configuration_Directories):
>
>> CouchDB now loads configuration from the following places (glob(7) syntax) in order:
>>
>>       • PREFIX/default.ini
>>       • PREFIX/default.d/*
>>       • PREFIX/local.ini
>>       • PREFIX/local.d/*
>

> The way I've understand the config system is that system defaults go into default.ini
and default.d/* and local overrides go into local.ini and local.d/*.

> The reason (I believe) *.d/ exist is that in a distribution some special configuration
can be added. For the sake of example, I think GeoCouch is a good example to think about this.
A CouchDB installation with GeoCouch could have the following config files:

> $etcdir/default.ini # system defaults
> $etcdir/default.d/geocouch.ini # geocouch system defaults
> $etcdir/local.ini # user settings overriding defaults in default.ini
> $etcdir/local.d/geocouch.ini # user settings overriding defaults in default.d/geocouch.ini.
>
> Now if one uses the /_config API, new settings are stored in local.d/geocouch.ini rather
than local.ini (as I'd expect).

> I'd therefore consider the load order to be wrong and propose to change it so that local.ini
is the very last item in the config chain.