couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Configuration Load Order
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 01:22:09 GMT

On 19 Jul 2011, at 00:57, Randall Leeds wrote:

>> My understanding is that local.ini is that generated.ini.

Nope.

The default.ini file is for the default configuration we ship with CouchDB, or for downstream
distributions to include a default config. The local.ini file is for the local system administrator
to customise the setup, without changing the system defaults, so that any future updates can
be made without over-writing local changes.

What I am suggesting is that we add an additional generated.ini layer that sits on top of
that, and lets CouchDB write out run-time configuration changes. Each layer acts as insulation
from loosing changes in the previous layer.

>> I'm willing to patch the read order to make sure changes get written to local.ini
however.

It is my current opinion that this breaks expected behaviour as an easy fix for an unrelated
problem — namely, where to write config changes to.