couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Kasper <emmanuel.kas...@openforce.com>
Subject How we relax with couchdb
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:45:57 GMT
Greetings

Just a few words to say how we relax using CouchDB in one of our
application ( you can even see our very own couch at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52933253@N05/4887256115/in/set-72157625387127511/
:)

We decided to settle on couchdb for timejim, our timetracking
applications ( http://timejim.com ) for three reasons:

  * multi master set up out of the box with the built-in  continuous
replication. It allows us to make hot backups, and distribute our data
across a range of cheap nodes in the cloud. A multi master setup in
PostgreSQL is, for all the love we have for PostgreSQL, at best tricky.
  * http access to the data, allowing us to leverage our knowledge of
web technologies, for example clustering with nginx, and in the future
allow client and server javascript code reuse when using/accessing the data
  * easier to use storage model, which allow us to update the data model
without using "alter table" and the like

Besides that we appreciate to have couchdb packaged in debian, which
makes deployment a breeze.

If it is not abusing your wiki space, I wanted to write this to
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/CouchDB_in_the_wild  to add some love to
couchdb, maybe in a shorter form.

Greets

Emmanuel